Time Machine


If Doraemon were kind enough to lend me his time machine, I would probably directly go to Nobita’s room and hopped on his drawer for the journey. And if Doraemon asked me which of my age I want to revisit, the first thing comes up in my mind is when I was 17.
Oh boy, as a teenage high school girl, life was simply wonderful. Nothing much to worry about, even on a physical appearance. I was more focus on my dream job as a graphic designer, so I did a lot of drawing and designing. Posters, album cover, t-shirt, anything that needed a little touch of art. As an addition music has always been a big part of my life, and in high school it was all about Napalm Death, Shelter, Bad Religion, Ramones (well, actually I still listen to them until now, punk music has strangely set a place in my heart), Biohazard, Mighty Mighty Bosstones, and a big, no, a HUGE fans of PAS band. I was pretty stand up for this matter, as I always mocked Backstreet as boys who got no dick. The good thing about being 17 years freak, I didn’t think too much about the things I wanted to do and the action I would take. For instance, if I like a guy, then I’d just fall for him. If I want to be a drummer, I‘d straightly set up a music band and played with tom tom. Yes, I did everything based on courage, curiosity and craving for experiences.
But along this journey I though about the year in my life when life was superb, then suddenly 27 popped up in mind. When I was 27, I must have said, life was a grant. It was the year I decided to leave my life in Bandung and start a new one in Banda Aceh. And I was pretty impressed that I was doing it in a good way. Great, actually. I’ve written down some of it here.
It was about one of the greatest job I’ve ever had. And nope, it was not graphic designer, my teenage life obsession. In short way, I do maps, and I never thought mapping could be this exciting. Or, maybe it was about the organization I worked for. In the name of humanity, wasn’t it very motivational? But really, one of the greatest moments at 27 aged was when I had to map all the houses in several villages affected by tsunami. Seeing all the smiles, friendly welcome and become a part of the community replaced all exhausted feeling after walking around the village all day long, under a hot striking sun. Oh yeah, I had my skin dark tanned.
After those long working hours outdoor, I got the chance to join one of the largest humanitarian organization and to my surprise, I have been holding on for more than one year on the position. Which means, yeah I love my job. I still do mapping, and such things, and in addition they flew me up to Africa.
It was about the warmest house I’ve ever had. You might have read it here.
It was about the wonderful landscape. The elegant greenish hill, the purple sky during sunset, the ever bluest and highest sky, the comfy modest village and of course one of the most beachscape I have experienced in my life. Growing up in a one of Indonesia big city, I have never been passionate about nature before. But living in this vivid beautiful city, and witnessing the view everyday, I am pretty sure that human can never live far from its mother nature.
It was about the challenge to live on my own. I went to Banda Aceh with no clues about relatives or friends who lived in the city, but through out the year I think I successfully add the list of contacts. I met great people there. To begin with, I met this inspirational lady who tagged me to write this long. My ex boss who taught me a lot, not only technical things at work, but also essential things in life. A big sista who never fails to counter my point of view and got me into a deep thinking. My soul mate and our running away from reality trips. And last but not least, my rock star as a partner to step together into our dreams. It is always good to know that you never walk alone.
Copycatting her I will write like this:
Alue Blang 3. Sunrise. Humanitarian world. Neusu. Bike riding. Lamsenia. East coast. West coast. Sanger. Ajun Jeumpit 18B. Cows. Sunset. Jasa Ayah. Woman in mission to Mozambique. Pop corn aka borondong. Lampuu beach. Lamno and its magnificent Grue Tee. Indomie + tea + sunset (again). Seubon Ayon village. Jl Langgar. Partner to talk about everything. Lueng Bata. Training in Bangkok. My rock star. And another struggle in Jakarta.
Oh boy, 27 has offered me so much in life.
From all of the post I have read, I conclude one thing. Moving out, no matter how comfortable your place right now was, has always been a turning point of life. It is one of the physical things that influence us emotionally. It is a good way to restart your life, change your identity as you want it to be and be a better you. As you stand up by yourself and putting back the past that shape you before. Not to forget it, but to filter it, bring along the positive vibe to the road ahead. Transform yourself into a massive shape.
Now dear Doraemon, if you kindly ask me which of the years, can I do a little correction? Probably I would love to go before 27. To start the transformation sooner.

No comments:

International Women’s Day

It’s the 8th of March today and acknowledged globally to celebrate women. I woke up at my usual waking time - an hour snooze after my alarm ...